Best Time to Visit
All Year Around
Landour is a charming and picturesque hill station located near Mussoorie in the northern Indian state of Uttarakhand. This small town is known for its natural beauty, colonial architecture, and a serene atmosphere.
- Location: Landour is situated just a few kilometers away from Mussoorie, a popular hill station in the Indian state of Uttarakhand. It is approximately 35 kilometers from Dehradun, the capital of Uttarakhand.
- Colonial Heritage: Landour is renowned for its colonial-era architecture and heritage. It was established during the British Raj as a sanatorium for the British army. Many of the buildings in Landour still reflect this colonial charm, with their rustic architecture, gabled roofs, and wooden facades.
- Scenic Beauty: The town is nestled in the Shivalik Range of the Himalayas, which provides breathtaking panoramic views of the surrounding hills and valleys. Landour is enveloped in dense forests of oak and deodar trees, offering a lush and green landscape.
- Peace and Tranquility: Landour is known for its tranquility and a slower pace of life. It's a perfect getaway for those seeking a break from the hustle and bustle of city life. The absence of large crowds and traffic adds to the serene ambiance of the place.
Landmarks and Places of Interest:
- Char Dukan: This area is known for its four shops and serves as a popular hangout spot for visitors. You can savor some delicious local snacks and enjoy the pleasant weather here.
- St. Paul's Church: An old and picturesque church with beautiful stained glass windows.
- Kellogg Memorial Church: A quaint church with a tranquil atmosphere.
- Landour Language School: This school has a rich history and offers language courses.
- Hiking and Nature Walks: Landour offers excellent opportunities for hiking and nature walks. You can explore the surrounding woods and trek to various viewpoints for breathtaking vistas.
- Food and Cuisine: Landour is known for its small, cozy cafes and eateries that serve a variety of local and international cuisines. You can enjoy delicious homemade jams, pancakes, and other comfort foods.
- Weather: Landour experiences a pleasant climate throughout the year. Summers are cool and comfortable, making it an ideal escape from the scorching heat in the plains. Winters can be cold with occasional snowfall.
- Literary Connections: Landour has been associated with several renowned authors and literary figures, including Ruskin Bond, who spent many years in this region. His stories often feature the landscapes and people of Landour.
- Accessibility: Landour is well-connected by road to Mussoorie and Dehradun, making it accessible by car. The nearest railway station is in Dehradun, and the nearest airport is Jolly Grant Airport in Dehradun.