Best Time to Visit
Lansdowne is located in the Pauri Garhwal district of Uttarakhand, in the northern part of India. Situated at an altitude of approximately 1,706 meters (5,600 feet) above sea level, the town is enveloped by the Shivalik range of the Himalayas.
Lansdowne has a rich cultural heritage, and it's home to the Garhwali people who have a distinct culture and traditions. The town features some colonial-era architecture and old British churches that provide glimpses into its history.
- Garhwal Rifles Regimental War Memorial: This war memorial pays tribute to the soldiers of the Garhwal Rifles, showcasing their valor and history. The surrounding area includes a small museum and stunning views of the hills.
- St. Mary's Church: An old colonial-era church, St. Mary's is a tranquil and picturesque place of worship with lovely architecture.
- Bhulla Lake: This man-made lake is a popular spot for picnics, boating, and nature walks. The serene surroundings and paddle boating opportunities make it a favorite among visitors.
- Tiffin Top: A viewpoint that offers panoramic views of the snow-capped Himalayan peaks and the surrounding valleys. It's an ideal spot for photographers and nature lovers.
- Tip-In-Top: Another viewpoint offering breathtaking vistas of the Garhwal Himalayas. The surrounding oak and pine forests add to the beauty of this location.
- Darwan Singh Museum: This small but interesting museum showcases the history, artifacts, and achievements of the Garhwal Rifles.
- Kaleshwar Mahadev Temple: A revered Shiva temple with intricate architecture and a tranquil atmosphere. It's a significant religious site for locals and a peaceful place to visit.
- Jungle Safari: Lansdowne offers opportunities for nature enthusiasts to explore the surrounding forests and spot wildlife. You may see deer, leopards, and various bird species.
- Hiking and Trekking: Lansdowne has numerous trekking and hiking trails that lead you through the pristine landscapes of the region. Some popular treks include the Snow Viewpoint trek, Hawaghar trek, and Bhim Pakora trek.
- Kotdwar: A town near Lansdowne, Kotdwar is known for its scenic beauty, especially the Sidhbali Temple, which is a significant religious site.
- Kalagarh Tiger Reserve: Located in the vicinity of Lansdowne, this tiger reserve is a part of the Jim Corbett National Park and offers wildlife enthusiasts a chance to spot tigers, elephants, and other wildlife.
- Tarkeshwar Mahadev Temple: Situated about 75 kilometers from Lansdowne, this ancient temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva and is known for its spiritual significance and stunning surroundings.