Auli is a popular hill station and ski resort located in the Chamoli district of Uttarakhand, India. Situated in the Garhwal region of the Himalayas, Auli is renowned for its pristine natural beauty, snow-covered landscapes, and excellent skiing opportunities.
- Skiing Destination: Auli is one of India's premier skiing destinations. The town is equipped with world-class skiing facilities and ski resorts. It offers skiing enthusiasts a chance to experience the thrill of skiing down the snow-clad slopes during the winter season, typically from late December to late February.
- Scenic Beauty: Auli is known for its stunning vistas of the Himalayan peaks, including Nanda Devi, Kamet, and Mana Parvat. The town is surrounded by dense forests of oak and conifer, adding to its natural beauty.
- Auli Ropeway: Auli boasts one of the longest cable cars in Asia, known as the Auli Ropeway or Auli-Gorson Ropeway. It provides a scenic ride and offers breathtaking views of the Himalayan ranges.
- Trekking and Hiking: Auli is a great base for treks and hikes. The Kuari Pass trek, the Valley of Flowers trek, and the Gorson Bugyal trek are popular choices, especially during the summer months.
- Joshimath: Auli is connected to the town of Joshimath, which serves as a gateway to several important pilgrimage sites and trekking trails. Joshimath is known for its religious significance and is a starting point for the Char Dham Yatra pilgrimage circuit.
- Weather: Auli experiences a cold and snowy winter from December to February, making it the best time for skiing. Summers, from March to June, are pleasant and are suitable for trekking and exploring. The monsoon season, from July to September, brings heavy rainfall.
- Cuisine: Auli offers a variety of Indian and continental dishes. The food options are limited, but you can enjoy local Garhwali and Kumaoni cuisine at some of the local eateries.
- Auli Artificial Lake: Auli has an artificial lake that is used for producing artificial snow for skiing during the winter months when natural snowfall is inadequate.